Re: Christmas and New Year Update from the Academy
As we approach the latter part of the term, I wanted to take this opportunity to provide you with an update from the academy as follows:
We will be maintaining our normal curriculum arrangements up to Wednesday 16th December 2020. On our last day, Thursday 17th December, we will be participating in a virtual Christmas service for students.
Thursday 17th December is also Christmas Jumper Day where students can wear a Christmas jumper with their usual academy blazer, shirt, tie and trousers or skirt. Students will be asked to donate £1.00 in support of Save the Children. Christmas dinner will also be served on this day. The academy will close at the usual time for students and will re-open again on Monday 4th January.
I am very proud of the determination and resilience shown by both students and staff in delivering outstanding teaching and learning in many new and innovative ways. This has been possible because of the unswerving support of parents, carers and the wider school community and I am grateful that our school is part of such a positive and supportive community. Many of you will be aware from our communications that staff have been working relentlessly to ensure parents are kept well informed with regards to self-isolation procedures and that quality ‘live lessons’ are taking place. We have been able to provide ‘live lessons’ through Teams for the vast majority of our students who have been asked to self -isolate. We appreciate this is not as effective as being in the classroom, but it is allowing staff to model and scaffold learning and for students to then be able to apply their new knowledge. Feedback so far from parents, students and staff has been overwhelmingly positive.
As all parents/carers are aware one of our methods to mitigate the risk of transmitting coronavirus in our classrooms is to ensure that these spaces have a good natural circulation of air. This involves ensuring the windows and doors of all our classrooms remain open at all times. Despite our heating system being on, this can mean that some classroom spaces become cooler throughout the day. The wearing of coats indoors is not practical in the Academy for a number of reasons and the wearing of non-Academy hoodies and jumpers is not acceptable and is not part of our uniform policy. As such, outlined below are a number of suggestions pupils and parents/carers may wish to consider:
- Pupils wearing a plain white t shirt or base layer under their shirt. These must not have a visible logo that can be seen through the shirt nor must this garment have a hood.
- Wear an Academy jumper. They can be purchased from SPT Uniforms.
- Ensure pupils attend the Academy with a suitable coat. Whilst these cannot be worn indoors, pupils can wear them to and from the Academy and in outdoor areas.
In the event that your child receives a positive COVID-19 test result in the period 18 -23 December 2020, we need to ask you to contact us. Please let us know immediately either by emailing email@example.com or by ringing or texting 07970040479. If your child receives a positive test result after the 23 December, you can inform us on the first day of the new term, using normal attendance procedures.
As is always the case if a member of your household tests positive the rest of the household should self isolate for 14 days from the date of the onset of symptoms, or where there are no symptoms, from the date of the positive test.
Please see the link to the PHE ‘Stay at Home’ Guidance:
All communication with parents is via the school gateway app. You can register for an account on the School Gateway website (www.schoolgateway.com) where you will be able to view the desk top version. Alternatively you may wish to download the free smartphone app available on Apple and Android supported devices. All you need to register is the email address and mobile number we have on record for you. If you have problems activating your account or logging in, it may be because we don’t have your current email and mobile phone number on record. Please contact the academy so that we can check our records if you are unable to access the website or app.
Y7 students have been completing assessments in lessons over the last 2 weeks. The results will be analysed and this may result in some students moving groups. Revised timetables will be distributed before Christmas.
Student reports will be issued via school gateway at the end of January. The reports for Year 7, 8 and 9 will be based on the results of the assessments that students have been sitting recently.
Free School Meals
We are pleased to confirm that Doncaster Council have made the decision to provide vouchers over the Christmas period for families in receipt of Free School Meals. The vouchers will be issued by email as the quickest and safest way to distribute them. Please ensure we have your correct email address. You can check the details we hold for you via the school gateway app.
As we head into the winter months, we always expect to remain open. In the event of severe weather conditions (snow) you will appreciate this isn’t always possible. Where this is the case we will communicate any school closures via the following lines of communication.
- School Gateway app. We will text parents using the app.
- Academy Website - all the latest news and events are held on our academy website (theallsaints.net) and we will ensure any closure is featured as soon as possible.
- Twitter - we have an active twitter account @RASAcademy where we will post news and updates from the academy to compliment the information already available.
- Trax FM
Where no updates have been provided parents should assume that the academy is open.
Can I please request that parents/carers support us in ensuring students adhere to the uniform expectations below:
- Blazer - Academy blazer
- Trousers - Plain style, black tailored trousers
- Delta Skirt - knee length black tailored skirt, plain style or pleated.
- Shirt - Plain style, white shirt buttoned to the neck
- Jumper - v-necked with embroidered crest (Optional - to be worn under blazer)
- Shoes - Plain style, black polishable shoes
- Socks - Plain style, white, black. Tights - Plain style, black or flesh-coloured
- Academy tie to be worn at all times
- Plain black belt, with standard buckle only
- No Jewellery/earrings/Apple watch or equivalent
- No make-up/false eyelashes/false nails/nail polish
- Face coverings should be worn on entering and leaving the building, whilst moving around the academy and academy site and on public transport.
Moving forward to the end of a busy term, all that remains is for me to wish you a peaceful Christmas and a Happy New Year on behalf of everyone at the academy.